Find a Club
Join Our Cause
Who We Are
Facts & Figures
Start a Club
Tour a Club
Find a Club
Alumni Hall of Fame
What We Do
Why We Care
Kids in Crisis
Open the Door to a Great Future
Meet Our Partners
Become a Sponsor
News & Events
Day for Kids
National BGC Week
Kids In Crisis
Open a Door To a Great Future
Browse Open Jobs
Search Open Jobs
Edit Your Profile
Jobs Applied For
Vice President, Government Relations
Under the limited supervision of the Senior Vice President, Government Relations, the
Vice President, Government Relations is responsible for conducting a government relations program nationally and in targeted states. The Vice President will supervise assigned staff, located in Washington, DC, or in the field. The Vice-President will lead all efforts in identifying and engaging government funding streams that bring value to BGCA and Boys & Girls Clubs, including oversight of Congressional, White House, Agency, and Legislative activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the leadership and oversight of all BGCA government relations activities to seek, advocate for, and defend government funding and policy for BGCA and local Clubs.
• Work closely on a regular basis with staff in other BGCA Departments as well as local Clubs in planning, coordinating, expanding and supporting funding initiatives and addressing government-related issues of interest.
• Work to increase the total government funding flowing to Clubs and/or BGCA through all available government sources including grants, federal programs, partnerships, etc.
• Monitor Federal and targeted state Congressional and legislative initiatives, activities and other developments; maximize the benefits to local Boys & Girls Clubs from the changes taking place.
• Oversee development and provision of appropriate and accurate Government Relations supporting materials for use with Congress, the Administration, Federal Agencies, and States to promote and Clubs.
• Secure and maintain partnerships with key government officials.
• Advise State Alliances on effective operations or sources of funds.
• Coordinate all visits by BGCA officials and Boys & Girls Clubs to Congress, the White House, and Federal Agency’s to ensure appropriate preparation and knowledge of details they will face. Pre-brief all participants in these visits.
• Lead and direct the assigned Government Relations staff to meet department goals and objectives and meet supervisory responsibilities including: hiring, establishing performance accountabilities, performance management, coaching, counseling, monitoring performance, employee development, recognition, communications, and terminations.
• Monitor, interpret and disseminate information on policies and actions of government actions that impact BGCA and/or local Boys & Girls Clubs.
• Lead program development, policy determination and management decisions of the overall Government Relations operations.
• Facilitate sharing of best practices across federal and state programs with Clubs.
• Assist with other duties/projects as assigned by the Senior Vice President, Government Relations.
Bachelor’s degree in a related area; Master’s Degree preferred.
Minimum of ten years’ experience working in Government Relations activities in Washington, DC, developing and advancing funding initiatives, monitoring legislation, and working with Congress, the White House, and Federal Agencies. Experience may be accepted for working with state administrations and legislatures, but significant Federal experience is expected. Further, the incumbent should have experience working within the Boys & Girls Club Movement, or a similar non-profit organization; must demonstrate experience working with leadership personnel, including senior organization management, boards of directors, and senior Congressional and Administration officials; experience in government fund raising (grants, transfer programs, etc.) is critical; working knowledge of the impact government funds can have on the success of a local non-profit organization in serving its members.
Strong understanding of the inner-workings of the Federal government, including the Congress, Administration, and Federal agencies; demonstrated high standards of ethics and integrity; multi-tasking; demonstrated successful personnel management techniques and experience; with a strong management orientation. Demonstrated competence in time management and prioritization, issue analysis, board support, and conduct of excellent written and verbal communication; a team player with demonstrated collaborative skills. Should be familiar with the latest digital collaboration methods, communication, analytics, using these tools to forward the work of the organization.
Must also be able to live in the Washington, D.C. Metro area and work in the Washington, D.C. Government Relations Office as a requirement for employment.
Send This Job to a Friend
The Official Site of Boys & Girls Clubs of America.